Paulaner Oktoberfest


It is that time of year again, Oktoberfest, and the south of Germany is reveling in the wonders of beer, sausage, pretzels, and tents. Up here in the north there are some "Oktoberfest" events but, there is not the same atmosphere of revelry and indulgence. In honor of this season I have a review of one of the better known fest beers, Paulaner Oktoberfest.

with a bowl of guacamole in the background


                                                                                                                                                                             











I was surprised the first time I poured one of these beers because, it didn't come out with the same red brown color I often associate with marzens. Instead it is a grainy yellow color resembling something closer to a pilsner. I recently read that many German breweries shifted to this current recipe about 40 years ago and away from the fuller bodied traditional one. The beer smelled sweet with some malt and just a hint of grass. The taste features a light mix of various malt flavors like bread and cracker and some grassy hop flavor. Overall this reminds me of a slightly fuller tasting pilsner. I find this beer decent and drinkable but, I actually wouldn't drink it if it was available other times of the year. There are definitely better Oktoberfest beers but, unfortunately they aren't as easy to find.

Overall: 7/10










Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Hi, I'm Colin, I love a good hoppy IPA, but I can find immense enjoyment in a solid session beer, imperial stout, quadrupel or a nostalgic beer from my past.

0 comments:

Post a Comment